Fill the Tank
Your soul, your spirit, your body was meant to be satisfied with more than, power, money, sex, knowledge, philosophy, or a loved one.
You may ask why is it wrong to desire such things, at its core none of those things are inherently wrong.
Money is a means to an end, sex is amazing with your husband/wife in mutual respect, and knowledge gives us wisdom in life, etc. But when we pursue such things expecting to find fulfillment in life, that’s where it falls short.
The Living Water
As the only real source of satisfaction is found in God, the Living Water.
Only He satisfies
- Our deepest longings
- Our needs
- Only He gives a life filled with meaning and purpose
She had not 1, not 2, not 3, but five husbands and after failing in her marriages, she decided to live with her new boyfriend. Imagine her emptiness, her brokenness, and loneliness after all these failed marriages. Maybe she believed that something was wrong with her when the truth was that she looked for satisfaction in the wrong place, in the wrong cistern. She was dry not only physically, but emotionally and spiritually.
And Jesus knew this and waited for her as she went to draw water one afternoon, he then asked for a bit of water to drink, which was totally out of place at that moment in history. Her expression of shock when he talked to her must have been priceless, for three primary reasons:
- She was a Samaritan= a native or inhabitant of Samaria
Jews didn’t mingle with Samaritans, that was a No- No
- She was a woman
- She was living with a man that wasn’t her husband (the reason why she went to draw water so late in the afternoon. To avoid being judged by other woman and the possibility of being stoned.)
So imagine her reaction when Jesus spoke to her not with words of judgment, but asking for a favor.
Jesus said: “Would you give me a drink of water?”
The Samaritan woman, taken aback, asked, “How come you, a Jew, are asking me, a Samaritan woman, for a drink?” ( John 8: 7-9, MSG)
Then Jesus offered something that none of her relationships would ever offer, LIVING WATER, true satisfaction.
God knew of her search for meaning, intimacy, and satisfaction. That’s why He presented Himself to her in love, regarding her relationships and offered her the TRUE SOURCE OF SATISFACTION, Himself.
In the same way, Jesus is presenting Himself to you today.
Allow Him to satisfy and fill you like no man can ever do. No matter your past or the number of partners you have had in life, Jesus loves you and longs to fill that hole.
I encourage you to daily resist the urge to fill your tank with the things of this world but fill it with premium gas, the Living water.
Respond & Reflect
- Is there anything in your life that is hindering your walk with God?
- Are you seeking to find satisfaction in the things of the world, instead of God? In a relationship, in money, in your job?
- “But those who drink the water I give will never be thirsty again. It becomes a fresh, bubbling spring within them, giving them eternal life.” John 4:14
- “Because I am righteous, I will see you. When I awake, I will see you face to face and be satisfied.” Psalm 17:15
- “Don’t love money; be satisfied with what you have. For God has said,“I will never fail you.
I will never abandon you.” Hebrews 13:5